What happens when colorful creative characters connect?
A supercharged energy bouncing around a conference room complete with two mics, a soundboard and three easily excited creatives wanting to make their community better! Co-founder and host of local podcast, altBR Jacob Jolibois recently interviewed Jenn about her creative career path and the Thriv Community’s goals and objectives and the creative sparks flew. Jolibois is the Director of Digital Strategy at MESH, a full-service creative agency in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, author of several books, and writer of 300+ blog posts on creative living, which is the tip of the iceberg for the co-host. (Update:) Since this post was released Jolilois has given his first TedTalk at Louisiana State University in March 2018.
Creative Career Path
One of the many hats Jenn Ocken wears is that of a fine art photographer. This is a huge part of the inspiration for the Thriv Community. She uses her experiences, tools, and concepts from the last 15 years in a creative career to help empower others who are inspired to move into creating more. A part of her mission is to crush the starving artist myth.How you ask? By providing an online learning platform where creatives can gain the confidence to pursue a creative career path. This wizardly woman is doing just that by creating a community of creative intelligence, where people can connect with others that are on the same journey while supporting them with tools and concepts embedded in lessons and live videos. Thriv is a hands-on community that may just prove 15 heads are better than one!
Trying to turn your artistic endeavors into a legit business sounds impossible . . . but it’s not! Jenn has the knowledge and drives to show creatives how to overcome anything that threatens to interrupt their flow. Things like creative paralysis, brain farts, procrastination and negative self-talk. Here are a few teasers from her recent altBR podcast that shows you how she plans on helping other creatives pursue a creative career path and push them along in their journey:
- The Thriv Community is her brainchild, birthed after years of fostering interns and mentoring many others.
- Question: why do colleges not give art-driven students a decent business education?
- When you fall flat on your face, what can you do after you dust yourself off and wipe the blood off?
- Why might making your bed daily be important?
- How’s your gratitude attitude right now?
- First thing in the morning, give time to YOU.
- Are you giving yourself time to do something different?
- What do the seasons have to do with your creativeness?
- Truth: Living in a cramped apartment and eating Ramen noodles turned out to be a blessing and reason to be grateful.
- A big lesson learned as a high school senior: It’s important to give back to your community!
Along with his co-host and producer, Abe Felix, Jolibois uses the altBR platform to shares the stories of people in the trenches of their creative career; people making Baton Rouge a better, more colorful place full of good culture and flavor. It strives to shine a light on the unseen side of the city that, once brought to light, will make citizens proud to call it home.
A sampling of altBR stories:
- A 21-year-old CEO is building one of the Top 50 student-led startups in the world [Ep. 2]
- Fifteen-year-old girl trains to be one of the first astronauts to colonize Mars in 2033 [Ep. 4]
- Social activist gives voice to the voiceless and color to the city through murals [Ep. 8]
- A photographer fights hell and high water to document stories of those affected by the “1000-year Flood.” [Ep. 23]
- A chef who grew up on the streets of NOLA brings his scrappy approach to an underground test kitchen. [Ep. 50]
Here are a couple of snippets and questions Jolibois addresses in episode #72 with Jenn Ocken – The Business of Art
- He successfully merged art and the business side of things to combine strategies in the marketing biz and to bust the starving artist myth.
- What’s your flow and process?
- What are your best practices?
- I live and breath by my calendar . . . and lists.
So anyway, find out the answers and scoop behind these questions and teasers during this interview.